What is eczema?
The seasons are changing and the cooler fall weather causes many of us to develop dry, irritated skin.
But for 17% of Canadians, inflamed and painful skin symptoms persist all year round. Eczema is a group of conditions that can cause the skin to become red, inflamed and itchy. This painful condition earned its name from the Greek word “to boil over” which seems pretty fitting. Afterall, once that urge to itch comes on, there’s no stopping it!
How is eczema commonly treated?
Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for eczema. Although many treatments have proven to be effective in addressing symptoms, this condition needs to be managed all the time.
Over the counter remedies, topical ointments and immunosuppressants are common choices to treat eczema. For many though, effectively managing their eczema comes down to ensuring flare-ups don’t get out of hand. This can be achieved by avoiding triggers that worsen symptoms, sticking to a daily hygiene routine and being consistent with medications and ointments.
But what if there was a treatment that helped manage itch, had anti-inflammatory properties and was anti-microbial as well? Sounds too good to be true, right? But exciting research continues to come forward that demonstrates the vast benefits of treating eczema with a surprising natural remedy: cannabis.
How does cannabis help eczema?
There are many different ways that cannabis helps treat eczema:
- Anti-itching Effect: Our bodies produce cannabinoids naturally. These chemicals are called endocannabinoids, and we have specific receptors that respond to them. This is why cannabis is so effective; the cannabinoids in the plant fit perfectly into these receptors in our bodies. For eczema, there are specific receptors in the skin that respond to cannabinoids by reducing not only the appearance of eczema, but the symptoms as well.
- Antimicrobial Effect: Certain cannabinoids have been found to have powerful antimicrobial properties when it comes to fighting staphylococcus aureus strains. These pesky bacteria are often the culprits behind a variety of skin infections, but they can be fought using a variety of natural remedies.
- Anti-inflammatory Effect: Topical cannabinoids have been shown to reduce itching. A recent study showed that endocannabinoids can help inhibit mast cell activation, which prevents histamines from being released. When histamines are activated, they can lead to painful itching and inflammation, so cannabis can help stop them in their tracks!
- Pain Relief: We’ve raved about the many pain relieving properties of this powerful plant before. It’s ability to reduce and modulate pain is one of the main reasons cannabis has been used medicinally for years.
- Relaxation: Anyone who has suffered with eczema knows how challenging it is to relax with the persistent itch and discomfort. Cannabis is known to calm the mind, soothe anxiety and encourage relaxation.
Can cannabis help my eczema?
Whether you are suffering from persistent itching, swollen skin or are having a hard time sleeping due to your eczema symptoms, cannabis may be an excellent addition to your treatment plan.
Cannabis for Eczema: Visit our Calgary and Edmonton medical cannabis clinics
Appointments for Alberta residents are free and covered by Alberta Health Services. Prior to your medical consultation with one of our licensed physicians, you will be educated on how medical cannabis works in our body and how it reacts to our endocannabinoid system.
During your education session with a Cann-Expert, you will learn:
- The main differences between an Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid strain
- Benefits of THC, CBD, and Balanced strains
- The body’s unique Endocannabinoid Systems (ECS)
- The timing of inhalation vs ingestion
At the time of your consultation, your Revolution Medical Cannabis doctor will review your medical history and ensure that cannabis will not conflict with any medications you’re currently taking.
Our Calgary and Edmonton medical cannabis prescribing doctors can help prescribe a treatment plan that may help you with you eczema. Our team will guide you in selecting a licensed cannabis producer as well as the registration.
Schedule Your Next-day Appointment
Are you ready to explore the benefits of medical marijuana? Contact Revolution Medical Cannabis today and schedule your free appointment with a cannabis educator and physician.